Friday, October 01, 2010

F1 2010 - Finally released, but still not finished.

The game that has had more delays than a train into London finally came out.. But it's still not finished.



F1 2010 finally makes it's first bow onto the large stage of joint Xbox, PS3 and PC, after a long running saga involving separate companies playground squabbling, F1 fans patiently waiting, and a release date that was changed as often as the Sugababes lineup.

The game aims to get you into the life of an F1 driver. In the driving seat, when flying around at 200mph, the only communication you have is with your race engineer. There is no commentary on the game, which for some is an added bonus. You can now change various settings on your car whilst driving, similar to real life F1. Wing settings, engine power and even commands for your next pit stop can be adjusted whilst on track, which is a very nice touch, and helps immerse you into the game.

Immersion

Whilst there are many issues at present with the game (which I will get to), immersion certainly isn't one of them. I started my career with Lotus, the historic team which has returned, and I was determined to be their saviour. Which I did.. Sort of, finishing my first race for the team in 14th. Now, to people who have not played the game, it may seem slightly irrelevant - not in the points, not on the podium, not important. But I was extremely pleased. I had been having an epic (as epic as a 14th-15th place battle can be) 5 lap battle with Rosberg, and finally managed to overtake him on the last corner, literally standing up and punching the air when I did so.
Of course, with assists on, down to easy modem, I probably could have won the race. But when a game has truly immersed me, I prefer to make it realistic. And as my next race finishes were 12th, 8th, DNF, 19th, I would say that is pretty much in line with the real Lotus. But then to my greatest hour. Pitting late at Spa, I had managed to outwit the rest of the drivers in waiting for the rain to come. I saw the darker clouds, radioed to the pits for wet tyres, and then made my stop. Then the rain came. Every other driver had to re pit, which pushed me up the field, and the pack trailing in my wake. Sensing Hamilton right behind me, and now with the correct tyres, I increased my engine, lowered downforce to combat the rain... And proceeded to fly off on the next corner. However, I finished the race in 2nd place.

As you can tell, the game sucks you in. You feel a real part of everything. The game looks fantastic, feels amazing, and the sounds are individual to each team. The small details are fantastic on the game.. But there are certain, rather large, glaring errors which stunt this games amazingness.

Bugs, bugs, bugs. Theres a bug which delays you leaving a pit stop if there is a car in the vicinity of you – vicinity being nearest mile.. The cars on track do not match their lap times. You have no way of knowing if you are gaining on the person infront. The cars randomly turn into ghosts, allowing you to crash into them, with no impact.. But then you are on the gravel. Fans of the game are hopeful that this will obviously be rectified via a patch.. But its pretty ridiculous the game was allowed to be released with these ridiculously large and glaring errors.

But weirdly enough.. the game is just brilliant. You really have a sense of acheivement gaining a place tht means nothing, and you have to work for it. The various assists and difficulties mean that you can really tailor this game to exactly whats right for you.




By no means is this game perfect, the glitches are ridiculous, but should a magic patch fix everything.. its going to be pretty close.

Rating – 8/10
Fair Price - £30 (£40 if no issues!)

No comments: